Permanent Resident Cards

New permanent residents don’t need to apply for a card, it is automatically sent to the Canadian mailing address provided at time of immigrating to Canada or within 180 days of immigrating. Usually PR cards are issued for five years validity but sometimes they are issued for one year validity.

You have to be Permanent resident to apply for PR card. If you have not lived in Canada for at least two of the last five years you may lose your permanent resident status.

PR card should only be applied for if:

-          Card was not received within 180 days of immigrating to Canada

-          Card has expired or will expire within nine months

-          Card has been lost, stolen or destroyed

-          Or if you changed your name legally and card needs updating.

All PR card applications have government processing fees.